The New Yorker has produced the ultimate satire in a recent article regarding the wealthiest people of the world.
After Oxfam released a report, which outlined that the richest 1 percent of the world will hold more than the remaining 99 percent of the world in coming years, have we had time to think about that one percent?
Not only did some of that one percent feel that it wasn’t an adequate statistic, they thought they would do BETTER!
Yes you heard me right. One percent is just not enough. Have a look at this article, and you will see how funny these billionaires sound.
Not only that, but in the article, hedge-fund owner Harland Dorrinson is hoping to set an even higher goal for himself and his fellow billionaires, by owning everything in the word ten years from now (insert jaw drop).
Former Massachusetts Governor Mitt Romney is relieved that he isn’t going to have sell his five to ten properties he owns across America.
So Let’s just take a minute and think about these ‘forgotten victims of inequality’ who feel they should own more.
But most of all, we should thank The New Yorker for taking something so demeaning and making it funny to readers, and even though it is satire, it’s much closer to reality than what we would like.
On a serious note, this inequality in the world is something we really need to think about, and there’s a heap of ways we can all make a difference.
The best thing to do is to think about how YOU can make small changes to help the less fortunate
So for all you people out there that do want to help, it’s important to first of all check out the report conducted by Oxfam. Here is a list of three things you could do to help make a little difference.
- Close the gap. Sign the pledge to help Indigenous Australians, or be a part of national close the gap day
- Make Poverty History. Check out the website for ways you can get involved.
- Make a small donation. It doesn’t need to be a lot, but something small can make a big difference. Check out Oxfam’s donations